- the book of the Word (a lectionary or a book of the Gospels),
- its veneration (procession, incense, candles),
- the place of its proclamation (lectern or ambo),
- its audible and intelligible reading,
- the minister’s homily which extends its proclamation, and
- the responses of the assembly (acclamations, meditation psalms, litanies, and profession of faith).
The liturgy of the Word is an integral part of sacramental celebrations. To nourish the faith of believers, the signs which accompany the Word of God should be emphasized (Catechism of the Catholic Church, #1154):